Statis Pro Baseball Dice Rules

I have been an active Statis Pro baseball player since I was in high school. That is to say, I started playing this game in 1978, the first year it was produced by Avalon Hill after the rights to the game had been purchased by Jim Barnes. As produced, my best friend and I played this game for hours, but the one weakness of the game for two players was the single ‘Fast Action Card’ (FAC) deck. The FAC however was one of its greatest aspects for the single gamer, which is why I believe the game has stood the test of time and has a moderate following as a solo game.

After playing for some weeks Barry also purchased a copy of the game and we began to play with two FAC decks. In this instance, the defensive manager would flip the first card to determine the PB number, the offensive manager would flip a card from his deck to determine the result of the play. Then the defensive manager would flip a card from his deck as necessary to determine if there was an error on the play. Or if there had been a call for a wild pitch (WP), balk (BK), or hit batsman (HBP). You get the idea, anything that had to do with the pitcher, the defensive manager flipped a card, any result that had to do with the batter, the offensive manager flipped a card from his deck. Eventually, the individual cards in the FAC deck began to get damaged, or a card from one of our decks was lost. As such, we developed the idea that after the top of the 4th inning, we would shuffle both decks and exchange them so that each player played 4 ½ innings with each deck. The idea was so that no one player had an advantage over the other due to any missing cards from either deck. It was a simple and effective idea, but even back then I was looking for a way in which I could incorporate dice into the game. 

However, life got in the way. I went off to college, while Barry stayed home and our game playing days were over. For a few years, the game sat on the shelf at my parents home, then one day in the mid 90’s I brought it home and dusted it off. This is when my solo playing days really began. With a lack of time and or people to play with I discovered the joy of playing Statis Pro in solo mode. For a number of reasons at this time my FAC deck was only about 75 - 80 percent complete for a variety of reasons. Cards had been lost, damaged, or simply left at Barry’s when the game was put up on the shelf. Yes I still played the game with that diminished FAC deck, but it bothered me. Keep in mind, at the time, AH had stopped producing the game, and the internet was not a commercial reality. 

 As an avid role player, a variety of dice were currently available from the local comic shop. Primarily dice used to play ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ (D&D). I soon began to look at my diminished FAC deck and realized that I could convert the results of the FAC to dice. Keep in mind however, that my FAC deck was not complete. Having said that I was able to get the basic game mechanics worked out and have been paying with dice ever since. Around 2010, I was able to purchase an original and complete Avalon Hill produced FAC deck, and I began to deconstruct the deck to get the most accurate results using dice as possible. I played with these for a few years, and again, life sort of got in the way and Statis Pro went back on the shelf.

In 2017, I dragged out all my old research and began to play the game again and haven’t stopped since. This ruleset is pretty comprehensive at about 25 pages. It has multiple examples of game play, and assumes that the player has a Statis Pro board game and all the necessary charts available to play the game. I produced this document as many people have been asking for dice based rules to play Statis Pro. I currently play one of two variations of Statis pro which I call ‘Pro-Stat Baseball d8, and d10’. And although the ruleset is similar it has its own unique play style. But I wanted to produce a set of dice rules for Statis Pro baseball that accurately represented the game, so here they are. I hope you will enjoy them and if there are any mistakes, or input, please let me know. You can shoot me an email, but I cannot guarantee how quickly I will be able to answer your question, but I will try my best. 

Todd A. Gamel 

You can get the rules and additional charts by clicking on the links below:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dissecting the FAC

Are Statis Pro Baseball's Base Stealing Charts Broken?